Meeting Halfway 

πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

A Story of a Mother

I saw her from a distance on the other side of the parking lot. I called out to her asking if she'd like a free flower. It's amazing what a flower will do. She declined while looking a little frazzled. She walked around almost in circles and then towards another part of the building where there is a walkway down the back parking lot of Planned Parenthood. I walked to the other end of that walkway.  

I only have a few moments to convince her that I have support that might really help her. So I just watched and then said casually that I thought “ it might be less intimidating if I wasn’t with a group of happy volunteers.”  We laughed together about that. I asked her if she was okay. She clearly was not. I questioned whether she'd just had a pregnancy test. She replied that she had and that it was positive. I waited a minute and then asked if she was planning to keep the baby. She said she wasn't sure and that she was thinking about it. I invited her to the building that our organization conveniently rents right next door to Planned Parenthood. She walked with me and we chatted. She needed to hear supportive words. We exchanged names and numbers. I told her there are many people in our organization that want tangible ways of helping who would love to show her she is not  alone. 

I mentioned our baby showers we offer every  mom who chooses life after speaking with us. She said “Oh, that would be really nice, I could use that”. 

We sat in our special chatting room, at the building, talking about all things pregnancy, family and motherhood. 

This conversation lasted only 25 minutes but I could clearly see it was what she needed. I told her my story and how I'd had my mind changed and asked her if us meeting the way we did helped her with her decision and she said “it was meant to be ''. We will meet again next week for lunch to talk about ways we can help and I`ll provide her with other resources from the community. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog