Broken

πŸ’”

Some circumstances shock me more than others. This is one. Last week I stood outside of Planned Parenthood, a car pulled up and I asked the driver, a woman in her late teens, if she needed a pregnancy test. She responded that she did not. I asked if she was pregnant and she said that she was not but her thirteen year old baby sister was.  The elder sister just dropped off the baby sister to get a surgical abortion. I explained to the elder sister the abortion-related increased risk of maternal suicide, depression, anxiey, drug addiction and alcholism. She responded that she already knew this. I begged the elder sister to enter the facility and pull out the baby sister so that I could fully apprise the latter of her options. The elder sister refused. I said, “This must be killing you.” She responded, “No, not really.” 

To all of this I ask, “what have we done?”. What has happened in this world to cause big sisters to feel no remorse, fear or sorrow about taking their baby sisters to an abortion facilty to have a surgical abortion. How is this situation possible? Thirteen year olds can be removed from homes in which they are subject to violence or neglect.  Yet they are unprotected by the law viz-a-viz abortion, in that a thirteen year old can have a violent, unborn life-ending surgery without consent of any adult. The same people who fight for the right to abort their children because they are concerned about the abusive foster care system are also looking away when a child is clearly being directly abused and neglected in an abortion facility because the law  “protects” them. We are obviously promoting and protecting evil. 

This scenario was one of the worst I’ve known of since I’ve been an advocate. I’ve cried after talking to several abortion-minded mothers but this was the scenario that stays with me. I fight to keep it from festering with what ifs. It makes me want to quit what I do so that I don’t have to see the truth of what is really happening. Paradoxically, it makes me want to stay…. To make a difference. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog