Game Plan

 I watched them at the far end of the parking lot deliberate. She seemed upset and he seemed to care that she was. He kept putting his arm around her. The perplexing thing was that as he put his arm around her he seemed to be pressing her towards the building. They got close enough for me to offer a flower and to comment on her obvious conflicted state of mind . He walked up to and he pointed her towards the clinic. He started to ask questions and to comment about us making it harder on everyone in situations requiring help from Planned Parenthood. I began explaining what we do and how we can help. I asked if she was having an abortion. He replied that it was none of my business and turned to walk away. I said that I thought she might want it to be.  He walked away and I waited. I wasn’t sure if she’d come out while I was still there. I wasn’t sure if she was there for the actual abortion. She exited the clinic about 30 minutes later and walked up to me wanting to know what I was about. I briefly explained and then asked if she wanted to talk inside our outreach building. She said she did. We started to walk and I told her to have her partner come too. He joined us. I encouraged them to tell their story. The story unfolded along with their fears. He was concerned about not having a good enough job to support a family and about being “ready” for a family . She had some of the same fears but was less convinced she should have an abortion. He was still thinking abortion was a better option. I asked him if he’d like to talk to a man about his concerns. He said he would. I called our former president of the board who agreed to talk. I handed the phone over and a man to man conversation ended with Pat’s confidence increased. Meanwhile she and I discussed the turn of events that brought her to the clinic. She secretly confided that her deep down thought was that she would not have aborted. 

All things, in my opinion , are so much better when decided as a team. They left with the same game plan with separate jobs with the same goal.tbc ….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog